hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Remote Java client connection into EC2 instance
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:45:33 GMT
The IP addresses assigned on the cluster are all internal ones, so when the regionservers do
a reverse lookup, they get something foo.internal. Then they report this to the master, which
hands them out to the client library as region locations. So while you can telnet to 60020
on the slaves as you know the public DNS names, the client library is only able to learn of
the internal ones.

Some options:

1) Run your clients up in the EC2 cloud also

2) Use a connector like Stargate or the Thrift server which can in effect proxy your requests
to the EC2 hosted cluster.

3) Grab the latest scripts from 0.20 branch in SVN. In $HOME/.hbase-<cluster>-instances
will be the list of instance identifiers of the slaves. Do:

   ec2-describe-instances `cat ~/.hbase-<cluster>-instances` | grep INSTANCE | grep
running | awk '{print "$4 $5"}'

This will give you a mapping between private and public names. Dump entries into your /etc/hosts
which map public IP (use dig to look up) to private name. Yes, it's not a nice hack.

4) You can use SSH as a SOCKS 5 proxy (ssh -f -N -D <local-port> <remote>), which
will also forward DNS requests, but to do it that way you'd have to hack the client library
some.

   - Andy

> From: George Stathis
> Subject: Remote Java client connection into EC2 instance
> To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
> Date: Friday, March 19, 2010, 8:00 AM
> This has come up
> before<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-hbase-user/200909.mbox/%3C587903.6843.qm@web65509.mail.ac4.yahoo.com%3E>but
> I'm still unclear as to whether this is possible or not:
> remotely connecting to an EC2 instance using the Java client
> library.
[...]
> Now, I have gone though a lot of threads and posts and have
> opened up all required ports (I think) on EC2: 60000, 60020
> and 2181 (I can telnet into them). I have one test EC2
> instance running in pseudo-distributed mode to
> test the remote connection. I attempt to run a single unit
> test.
[...]