hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Questions while evaluating HBase
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 17:32:14 GMT
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:08 AM, Eran Kutner <eran@gigya-inc.com> wrote:

> My understanding is that 0.21 doesn't have an expected release date yet. Right?

Correct.

>> > As for the issue with shutting down the master node, what I see is that
>> > running "hbase-daemon.sh stop master" continues printing dots forever.
>> > Looking at the code for that script, it is trying to run "./hbase master
>> > stop". If I run that command manually it seems to ignore the stop parameter
>> > and trying to load another instance of the server which fails in my case
>> > because the server is already running and the JMX port is busy. There is
>> > nothing in the log and the out file only has the exception thrown by the JMX
>> > trying to bind to the busy socket.
>>
>> That is the problem. That bind happens when the JVM boots and makes it
>> exit, so it really doesn't stop the master at all. 0.20.3 has a fix
>> for that.
>
> I am already using 0.20.3

The way shutdown works is that an instance of master sends message to
running master telling it to shutdown.  The JMX port clash seems to be
in the way of this happening.  I'm sure there is a better way, but
mayhaps for now set alternate JMX options by doing something like:

HBASE_MASTER_OPTS=" -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=10102"
./bin/stop-hbase.sh

..i.e. a JMX port other than the one being used by the currently
running master (See bin/hbase-env.sh for more info on these options)

St.Ack