hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: on Hadoop reliability wrt. EC2 (was: Re: [databasepro-48] HUG9)
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:47:23 GMT
Hmm...

I know you only used leeware as an example Edward. :-)

I'd caution you have to be careful. Obviously only a subset of low cost
options are suitable and you need to know what you are doing.

Given this example, leeware servers would be possibly useful but underperforming
for plain MapReduce, due to fast Ethernet only interconnect between the servers
and hardly any disk, but underperforming and problematic for HBase. Connections
between servers in a HBase cluster should be GigE in my experience, unless you're
planning to serve everything out of RAM (block cache). In that regard, the memory
configuration of leeware servers is not sufficient. Additionally there is not
enough RAM to support HBase and map reduce tasks on the same servers. There's
hardly any disk to back a table of any size which justifies use of HBase in the
first place.

There are other managed hosting providers that can do GigE interconnect and
useful disk configurations, but they cost more obviously.

   -  Andy