hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deployment question
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:05:46 GMT
I do something like this:

sudo -u hadoop -s

<configure passwordless ssh for user hadoop>

tar zxvf hbase-0.20.3.tar.gz
vim hbase-0.20.3/conf/hbase-env.sh hbase-0.20.3/conf/hbase-site.xml
hbase-0.20.3/conf/regionservers

<do configuration>

for i in `cat hbase-0.20.3/conf/regionserver` ; do rsync -avp --delete
hbase-0.20.3 $i:~ ; done

cd hbase-0.20.3
bin/start-hbase.sh

The advantage of this mechanism is you dont need root to deploy and
start hadoop.  Debian or redhat packages require you to be root to (a)
install hadoop & hbase and (b) start/stop hbase.   Rsync makes it fast
and easy to do small differential deployments (ie: updated 1 config
file).  For not huge clusters this is a perfectly acceptable, fast,
easy solution.