hbase-user mailing list archives

From nocones77-gro...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: Why windows support is critical
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 21:44:52 GMT
Inline...

----- Original Message ----

Appears to be some sort of issue with IPv6, Windows' response to "localhost", and the way
Cygwin resolves it. I found this:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-hbase-dev/201001.mbox/%3C82d7a2d21001181712hced009ds1730339c271efb11@mail.gmail.com%3E

There is a work-around, and on hindsight I probably had it almost working. But at the time
I still
didn't know enough about everything to fill in all the blanks properly (stand-alone zookeeper,
etc). After a while I changed direction, thinking that connecting to a standalone setup on
a remote Linux box would be easy enough. But this all still before I clued into the "no real
client Jar" and "can only connect to a fully-distributed installation" concepts. By then I
was so far down that route, I've just kept going...<shrug>

> I haven't run it to the point of actually doing a start-hbase.sh, but rather
> running things like HBaseClusterTestCase w/o a problem.

Interesting...Hadn't come across this approach to development on HBase yet. Doesn't solve
all my problems, but might be useful. I'll take a look at that class. Any other useful info/docs
you can point me to?

Neal