hbase-user mailing list archives

From Hua Su <huas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions while evaluating HBase
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 03:08:34 GMT
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 2:34 AM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@apache.org>wrote:

> > I also have concern about thrift gateway performance.
> >
> > Maybe I misunderstand but after I have a glance at the code of hbase
> thrift
> > stuff, I find out that there is only one thrift server running. All
> requests
> > are sent to the thrift server first and then forwarded to region servers.
> >
> > Is this a single failure point and a potential performance bottle neck?
>

> You can run as many server as you want, we actually run 1 per region
> server in our production environment. Instead of running
> ./bin/hbase-daemon.sh start thrift, do the following to have 1 per RS:
> ./bin/hbase-daemons.sh start thrift

Thank you for pointing me out the solution.

I've another question about thrift api. In 20.3, the thrift api lacks of
many functions which native java api has, such as scanner with time stamp
range, scanner with server side fileter, etc..

Is there a patch to make thrift api as a full function interface as the
native java api?

And, when hadoop's RPC will be replaced with Avro? Before that happens,
thrift api is I think the best choice for languages other than Java.

> It's really just a wrapper around the java client so it scales to how
> many nodes you have.
>
> J-D

Thanks,
- Hua