hbase-user mailing list archives

From Erik Holstad <erikhols...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions about HBase
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 22:00:18 GMT
Hey William!

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 12:36 PM, William Kang <weliam.cloud@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I am new to HBase and have several questions. Would anybody kindly answer
> some of them?
>
> 1. Why HBase could provide a low-latency random access to files compared to
> HDFS?

Have a look at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase and the bigtable paper
for reference on how
to add random access on top of a dfs.

> 2. By default, Only a single row at a time may be locked. Is it a single
> client who can only lock one or is it globally can only lock one?  If this
> is the case, by default, will the performance be really bad?

The lock is global to insure that a for example read/update/put action can
take
place. Performance will suffer if you have a lot of clients doing this to
the same
row a the same time. In my experience this is not really that common, but if
this
is something you need have a look at the  ITHBase.

--
Regards Erik