hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: on Hadoop reliability wrt. EC2 (was: Re: [databasepro-48] HUG9)
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:17:58 GMT
I thought about this some more and remembered we substitute the internal
DNS names allocated by EC2 into the config files, not IP addresses (and
that the EC2 internal DNS names embed what looks like a MAC address not an
IP address). So as long as the internal DNS name on an instance is stable
through suspension and resumption, the only pre-suspend and post-resume
steps necessary is graceful shutdown of the daemons and subsequent
relaunch, respectively.

Graceful shutdown of the daemons prior to suspension will be necessary due
to how Hadoop and HBase services monitor their internal function and
trigger recovery actions.

Maybe someone can experiment, confirm or refute, and then share their
experiences?

   - Andy