hbase-user mailing list archives

From Tim Robertson <timrobertson...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: UUID as key wuz: RE: worth choosing the shortest possible column names/keys?
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:09:48 GMT
Well I could well be wrong, but my understanding is that there are memory
mapped index files using the key, so key choice would come in to play for
memory requirements here.  For secondary indexes, it has to be a factor for
memory requirements- halving the size of the data you need to get in memory
must be a good thing.  I am also building Lucene indexes storing only this
key, so it influences their size a fair amount too.

I know for sure Mysql (Myisam) btree index size is greatly affected by the
size of the Numeric types.  They are more complicated that my understanding
of HBase indexing, but the same principles apply (if it ain't in memory then
you're into disk seeking).