hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: non-uniform region splits for index tables
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 23:57:15 GMT
A region split happens when a family grows bigger than 256MB, if you
have less than that in a whole table then it will be hosted in a
single region.

J-D

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Adrian Popescu
<popescuadrian2001@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've observed that when creating secondary indexes their corresponding tables are not
necessarily uniformly partitioned into region splits (e.g. one region table has 100MB, another
one has 200MB); the solution that I found is to force a split on the table. However, my belief
was that the load balancing of the data should be done automatically by HBase. Is any particular
reason that the balancing of the data doesn't happen automatically on secondary index tables
or do I miss some setting ?