hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Questions while evaluating HBase
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 18:34:36 GMT
> I also have concern about thrift gateway performance.
>
> Maybe I misunderstand but after I have a glance at the code of hbase thrift
> stuff, I find out that there is only one thrift server running. All requests
> are sent to the thrift server first and then forwarded to region servers.
>
> Is this a single failure point and a potential performance bottle neck?

You can run as many server as you want, we actually run 1 per region
server in our production environment. Instead of running
./bin/hbase-daemon.sh start thrift, do the following to have 1 per RS:
./bin/hbase-daemons.sh start thrift

It's really just a wrapper around the java client so it scales to how
many nodes you have.

J-D