hbase-user mailing list archives

From eltonsky <eltont9...@hotmail.com>
Subject When should I jump on HBase rather than RDBMS?
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 23:34:11 GMT

Hello everyone,

I read through some literature and end up with some ideas on HBase and
RDBMS. Please correct me if I am wrong:

* Use HBase if the application is going to handle large datasets, like
Petabytes. That means when scalability is a big concern; Also, because HDFS
replicates data autoamtically, we have reliability;

* Correspondingly, we can just use RDBMS when the dataset is not huge enough
to worry about scalability often. Because anyway, RDBMS has more
functionalities we can take advantage of, e.g. secondary indexing,
referential integrity.

Is the above right?

Regards,
Elton