hbase-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Koch <tho...@koch.ro>
Subject good, not evil and HBase package for Debian
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:09:45 GMT
Dear Mr. Crockford,

I'm working on a Debian package for HBase, the Database also used by Yahoo.
One dependency of hbase is agile-json[1], apparently based on your org.json
library. It also contains the phrase: "The Software shall be used for Good,
not Evil."

I've youfully watched your Videos on Javascript and advocated your style of
javascript in my company, to make the internet a better place. I'm working
voluntarily since 19 years in social and educational projects.

Please realise, that you're doing evil with your license: You're wasting my
time. I need to look around, whether this license can be accepted by Debian,
write this email to you and maybe alltogether give up on the Debian package if
it shouldn't be accepted by Debian.

Instead of wasting this time, I could do good things instead. Helping in our
brasil school project, where children from poor farmers learns to read, write
and defend their legal rights.

Please be so kind to remove the phrase from your code. Those who're realy evil
will ignore it anyhow, and those, who have a sense of responsability, like me,
are harmed by it.

[1] http://github.com/gottesmm/agile-json-2.0

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro