hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Patterson, Josh" <jpatters...@tva.gov>
Subject RE: hbase REST wiki documentation
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 15:49:30 GMT
Andy,
Thanks for the response. Last night, after rechecking some things, I
noticed in the hbase source that there were two namespaces for the REST
projects and then ran the stargate class as a hbase-daemon. The 8090
port in my example was simply the port I had setup for my REST server.
Its definitely very functional and the stargate version seems to be
quite usable and fast.

Why not just make the stargate version the default one to start with
"hbase rest start" ?

Either way, good stuff, we're up and running and using it.

Josh

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Purtell [mailto:apurtell@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:49 PM
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: hbase REST wiki documentation

There are two REST interfaces in 0.20.x. You are using the old,
deprecated one.
Stargate does not use paths prefaced by /api/. This is the first clue
that says
you are using the old REST interface. Second is that Stargate runs by
default on
port 8080, not 8090 as your examples show.

Do NOT do 'hbase rest start' to start up a REST interface. This launches
the
old one. Instead, follow the instructions in the 'Deployment' section of
the
Stargate wiki page. Just for testing you can launch it as a standalone
daemon
in the foreground in an embedded Jetty servlet container:

  1) Place the Stargate jar in either the HBase installation root
directory or

     lib/ directories.

  2) Copy the jars from contrib/stargate/lib/ into the lib/ directory of
the
     HBase installation.

  3) Start the embedded Jetty servlet container:

     % ./bin/hbase org.apache.hadoop.hbase.stargate.Main -p <port>

     where <port> is optional, and is the port the connector should
listen on.
     (Default is 8080.)

> So, given that its clearly stated that Stargate is *alpha*
> software, am I just running up against something that is not quite
ready

It's alpha, not nonfunctional. :-)

Please let me know if something needs further clarification.

   - Andy