hbase-user mailing list archives

From Boris Aleksandrovsky <balek...@gmail.com>
Subject compaction does not reduce the number of regions
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:59:04 GMT
Hi guys,

We have a table which stored previously uncompressed data which we changed
to store GZ-compressed data. We performed a compaction on that table which
shrank its size three-fold. However, I noticed that compaction reduced the
size of the region, but did not reduce the <it>number</it> of regions.

My questions is:
1. How does the scan performance (and also random read performance) related
to the number of regions in your experience? Perhaps there are some
empirical data on the optimal regions size / number of regions per region
server combination?
2. If performance suffer because there is a high number of small regions, is
there a way to reduce the number of regions by merge or other means.

--
Cheers,

Boris