hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hbase REST wiki documentation
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 01:49:28 GMT
There are two REST interfaces in 0.20.x. You are using the old, deprecated one.
Stargate does not use paths prefaced by /api/. This is the first clue that says
you are using the old REST interface. Second is that Stargate runs by default on
port 8080, not 8090 as your examples show.

Do NOT do 'hbase rest start' to start up a REST interface. This launches the
old one. Instead, follow the instructions in the 'Deployment' section of the
Stargate wiki page. Just for testing you can launch it as a standalone daemon
in the foreground in an embedded Jetty servlet container:

  1) Place the Stargate jar in either the HBase installation root directory or

     lib/ directories.

  2) Copy the jars from contrib/stargate/lib/ into the lib/ directory of the
     HBase installation.

  3) Start the embedded Jetty servlet container:

     % ./bin/hbase org.apache.hadoop.hbase.stargate.Main -p <port>

     where <port> is optional, and is the port the connector should listen on.
     (Default is 8080.)

> So, given that its clearly stated that Stargate is *alpha*
> software, am I just running up against something that is not quite ready

It's alpha, not nonfunctional. :-)

Please let me know if something needs further clarification.

   - Andy