hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: OOME Java heap space
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2010 20:18:52 GMT
On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Bluemetrix Development
<bmdevelopment@gmail.com> wrote:

> If this is the case tho, how big is too big?

Each cell and its coordinates is read into memory.  If not enough
memory, then OOME.

Or does it depend on my
> disk/memory resources?
> I'm currently using dynamic column qualifiers, so I could have been reaching
> rows with 10s of millions of unique column qualifiers each.

This should be fine as long as you are on a recent hbase.

I'd say it a big cell or many big cells concurrently that caused the OOME.

> Or, with other tables using timestamps as another dimension to the
> data, and therefore
> reaching 10s of millions of versions.
> (I was trying to get HBase back up so I could count these numbers.)
>
> What limits should I use for the time being for number of qualifiers
> and number of timestamps/versions?

Shouldn't be an issue.

St.Ack