hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HBase on 1 box? how big?
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2010 22:11:18 GMT
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Ross Rick <rick@semanticresearch.com> wrote:
> I would want to use a properly scaled HBase for the desktop, and then, as is appropriate
for my app, push that data to cluster.   This process is nearly seamless when the underlying
language is the same.  Success in the future isn't likely just about how big you can get.
 Dare I say it, it's probably more like 'rightsizing' your data.

You are right.  We should have a better one-box story than we do.
Development is generally off at the other end of the scale, on making
the multinode installs run smooth with a working-one-box getting only
as much attention as it takes to run unit tests and simple loadings.
Our other-than-single-box -- or two to three nodes even -- focus has
probably hurt us over time since thats what noobs start on.  If they
don't get a good feeling running on a small cluster, why would they
expect it to be different when they move beyond that.

Its my sense that If someone was up for working on our one-box story,
they'd only get encouragement.

Thanks for writing,
St.Ack