hbase-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Popescu <popescuadrian2...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Hbase on Solaris ?
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2010 19:49:06 GMT

Thanks a lot for the info ! I've got it working on Solaris 5.10, although I have some issues
with the native libraries as you mentioned (e.g., compression). Most probably I will migrate
to Linux soon.

Also, I would like to ask which is the Linux version currently used in HBase development team
?

Thank you,
Adrian

________________________________
From: "Gibbon, Robert, VF-Group" <Robert.Gibbon@vodafone.com>
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Tue, February 23, 2010 3:09:46 PM
Subject: RE: Hbase on Solaris ?

I have got it running stably under OpenSolaris - but I have no
benchmarks for it so I cannot help you there.

One thing to note is that some parts of the Hadoop infrastructure have a
C native implementation which would need to be compiled against Solaris
to gain the performance benefits they give. Says the documentation:

"Hadoop native library is supported only on *nix platforms only.
Unfortunately it is known not to work on Cygwin and Mac OS X and has
mainly been used on the GNU/Linux platform."

There is no indication if this works on Solaris but maybe someone else
on the list knows?

HTH