hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: searching values in hbase tables
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:15:41 GMT
Inline.

J-D

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Muhammad Mudassar <mudassark7@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
> I have hbase table with 3 column families and some number of rows stored in
> it here I want to ask that how I can search values from the table (like
> select name from employee where age='35': query of sql ) using api in java
> some code would be helpful.

There's no support for secondary indexes in HBase core, you need you use one
of the contribs. 2 are available in 0.20.3, you can have a look at them by
looking at src/contrib/indexed and src/contrib/transactional. Another option
is maintaining the indexes yourself.

> i am having problem to define row keys curently i am using numbers like
> 1,2,3..... for each row which i have implemented using a loop which
> increments integer variable used as row key each time i have to inser data
> in table is there any way to generate saperat row key each time data
> insertion is performed.

Inserting row keys with an incremental ID is usually not a good idea since
sequential writing is usually slower than random writing. If you can't find
a natural row key (which is good for scans), use a UUID.