hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hbase thrift status 0.20.3
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 18:24:11 GMT
The Thrift and REST connectors have different aims. My rule of thumb
is this:

If you need cross platform/language compatibility in a single tenant
deployment, use the Thrift connector, especially if you anticipate a
high rate of small data operations. It offers performance near the
Java native API for this type of use.

If you need cross platform/language compatibility in a *multi* tenant
deployment, use the REST connector (Stargate) in a servlet deployment
and configure authorization/authentication according to the
capabilities of the servlet container. You can also stack the REST
option in a layered architecture:

             clients
               /|\

               \|/
    +-------------------------+
    |  cache (reverse proxy)  |
    +-------------------------+
    |     authentication      |
    |REST connector (Stargate)|

               /|\

               \|/
              HBase

Stargate is cache aware. Cache and authentication can be combined:
http://linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2001/08/09/authen_squid.html
There's no comparable stacking on the Thrift side that I'm aware.

   - Andy