hbase-user mailing list archives

From F McAdoo <fmcadoo.y12.doe....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBql potential to support ODBC driver/API for HBase?
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:50:44 GMT
+1

**Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:39 AM,  ben.cotton@lehman.com wrote:

Please consider prioritizing the HBql team's  development of an HBase ODBC
driver..

We need at least three things for us to realistically "plan/build/operate"
on Hadoop:

1.  Put our "too big data" into Hadoop (sqoop-->Hive, HBql-->HBase, etc)
2.  Connect our applications to Hadoop to process this "too big data" via MR
(HBql looks great here, Hive has JDBC too, neither have full ODBC)
3.  View our "too big data" in Hadoop with universally familiar desktop
tools (Excel,Access,SqlDbx)

Today, #3 cannot be done _anywhere_ in Hadoop.(requires a full ODBC
capability).   Please Help!

-----Original Message-----

From: Paul Ambrose [mailto:pambrose@mac.com <pambrose@mac.com>]

Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 3:24 PM

To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org

Subject: Re: HBql potential to support ODBC driver/API for HBase?

No plans for it, but always open to ideas.

Is there any  consideration for  HBql to implement /support drivers

that provide  HBase w/ an ODBC API capability?.   We don't yet know

if/how/when we can potentially connect our legacy  data tools (MS-Excel,

MS-Access, and SqlDbx) to Hadoop.  The Hadoop HIVE project has an OBDC

driver, but it is not yet supported on Microsoft Windows.  We are

looking forward to when we can connect  universally familiar

Microsoft-based data tools to Hadoop.

This message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of
the designated recipient(s) named. If you are not the intended
recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited. This communication is for information purposes only and
should not be regarded as an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an
offer to buy any financial product, an official confirmation of any
transaction, or as an official statement of Lehman Brothers. Email
transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.
Therefore, we do not represent that this information is complete or
accurate and it should not be relied upon as such. All information is
subject to change without notice.

designated recipient(s) named. If you are not the intended recipient of this
message, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. This
communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as
an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial
product, an official confirmation of any transaction, or as an official
statement of Aurora Bank FSB. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be