hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Support for MultiGet / SQL In clause -- error in patch HBASE-1845
Date Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:02:36 GMT
On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 2:52 AM, Sriram Muthuswamy Chittathoor
<sriramc@ivycomptech.com> wrote:
> Thanks all.  I messed it up when I was trying to upgrade to 0.20.3.  I deleted the
data directory and formatted it thinking it will reset the whole cluster.

> I started fresh by deleting the data directory on all the nodes and then everything worked.
 I was also able to create the indexed table using the 0.20.3 patch.  Let me run some tests
on a few million rows and see how it holds up.

> BTW --  what would be the right way when I moved versions.  Do I run migrate scripts
to migrate the data to newer versions ?

Just install the new binaries every and restart or perform a rolling
restart -- see http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/RollingRestart --
if you would avoid taking down your cluster during the upgrade.

You'll be flagged on start if you need to run a migration but general
rule is that there (should) never be need of a migration between patch
releases: e.g. between 0.20.2 to 0.20.3.  There may be need of
migrations moving between minor numbers; e.g. from 0.19 to 0.20.

Let us know how IHBase works out for you (indexed hbase).  Its a RAM
hog but the speed improvement finding matching cells can be startling.

St.Ack