hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HBase on 1 box? how big?
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 22:45:42 GMT
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Otis Gospodnetic <
otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:

> For example, you may have an app that you want to demo to a customer, and
> you can't ask them for N boxes for the demo.  But you can ask them for 1 box
> to install something on.
>
> Can't you do this now?  Just do ./bin/start-hbase.sh with the default
config?  It requires ssh'ing to localhost but that ain't too hard to set up?

> Or maybe you can run everything from a memory stick? ;)  Hey, is there a
> technical reason why having all jars, scripts, configs, etc. on a stick, and
> have the configs point to dirs on the stick for holding data?  I'm not
> joking, really! :)

You can point hbase to non-standard location for configs -- see hbase-env.sh
-- and same for logging so I don't see reason why you couldn't do
hbase-on-a-stick (Could go nicely with a few of those jumbo shrimp).

St.Ack