hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase on 1 box? how big?
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 21:50:32 GMT
You can run HBase on any size of machine all single node, by default
when you start hbase it will store files in /tmp and everything is in
1 JVM.  How much data can you jam in there?  I'm not totally sure,
probably a lot more than you might think, but again limited by the
disk.  I run it on my mac laptop for example.

I have a patch that will allow a single JVM including zookeeper, but
it is locked up in my private git for now. This would get rid of the
need to ssh localhost just to start local hbase.

-ryan

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Seth Ladd <sethladd@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree.  HBase in a box is essentially MySQL.  HBase is built for a cluster.
>
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
>> On that scale, why not use MySQL or Postgres?
>>
>> "HBase in a box" is like "dynamic equilibrium", or "virtual reality", or
>> "jumbo shrimp"... :-)
>>
>>  - Andy

>>> Otis