hbase-user mailing list archives

From Mridul Muralidharan <mrid...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Secondary indexes and transactions
Date Sun, 03 Jan 2010 18:46:25 GMT
Hi,

   I was wondering about the atomicity guarantees when using secondary
indexes from within a transaction.

 From what I could gather, updates to the index table goes through its
own (set of) rpc before the underlying transactional table is updated -
and these update happens outside of the locks for the transaction table.
Also, the index regions need not colocate with the table region.

So essentially wondering
a) if the index can go out of sync with the transactional table ?
b) if there are errors with update to table, are the indexes rolled back ?
c) Whether there can be issues if there are parallel updates invoked for
the same row - whether index changes end up being inconsistent with
table data (due to lock not being held while updating index).

I guess they are all kind of related queries.

I was not able to get a clear picture from the archives, so
RTFM/pointers would be helpful if this is already answered.

Thanks,
Mridul