hbase-user mailing list archives

From Paul Ambrose <pambr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [Announce] HBql
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2010 22:26:48 GMT

On Jan 5, 2010, at 2:08 PM, Gibbon, Robert, VF-Group wrote:

> Woaaa this looks awesome! Questions follow

Thanks.

> * CREATE INDEX - works with vanilla Hbase or needs Transactional Hbase? Builds indexes
as hbase tables? update triggers/scheduled rebuild of the indexes too?

I am simply calling the existing hbase index support: http://tinyurl.com/yanfslo
Note that using indexes requires some enabling
(as described in the above link and here: http://www.hbql.com/installation.html).

> * Query plans and optimization are now managed by HBQL? User doesn't have to worry about
that?

The queries are still Gets and Scans (as determined by the KEYS clause of the query) and
the server and client filters are executed as either a SingleColumnValueFilter  or
as an HBql RecordFilter (depending on the complexity of the expression).

To be clear, I am not looking at the query and seeing if any indexes apply and then
optimizing the query accordingly.   This is still baby steps time... :-)

Cheers,
Paul