hbase-user mailing list archives

From canucks <anh...@gmail.com>
Subject learning hbase - schema design advice
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 03:11:41 GMT

Hi,

i'm pretty interested in learning hbase.  what i want to do is store
financial data for analytical/graphing/displaying purposes.  there hundreds
of millions of rows and of course, i want fast response when retrieving the
data.

if i were to do it in a RDBMS it would be
REPORT,	MARKET,	OPERATING_DATE,	OPERATING_INTERVAL,	HOUR_ENDING	VALUE
where the bolded column name are PK.  if i were to store this in hbase would
it look like this?

REPORT.MARKET.OPERATING_DATE.OPERATING_INTERVAL.HOUR_ENDING.TIMESTAMP{
	VALUE: 92.29
}

so that i can do queries like below:
- give me all reports with the name of "ABC"
- give me all the values where OPERATING_DATE is from jan-01-2010 to
jan-10-2010
- give me all the values where OPERATING_DATE is from jan-01-2010 to
jan-10-2010 and HOUR_ENDING is between 5 and 10 (or simply 5 or variations
thereof)

in short, is hbase the wrong way to go about it or would it yield better
performance?  also, you folks happen to know any good links/articles on
hbase table & schema?

thanks