hbase-user mailing list archives

From Gary Helmling <ghelml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMX Metrics with HBASE
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 15:22:00 GMT
Hi Edward,

If you look at the bin/hbase shell script, you'll see that it adds separate
env variables to the master, regionserver, thrift and zookeeper processes
when running -- respectively:

HBASE_MASTER_OPTS
HBASE_REGIONSERVER_OPTS
HBASE_THRIFT_OPTS
HBASE_ZOOKEEPER_OPTS

So you just need to add lines for any of these you choose to
conf/hbase-env.sh.  We should probably add commented out placeholders for
each of these in the default hbase-env.sh script with some explanation,
though.

The equivalent stats to the web interface are exported as the following
MBeans:

Master:
* hadoop:service=Master,name=MasterStatistics
    * cluster_requests
* hadoop:service=HBase,name=RPCStatistics-<portnum>
    * RpcProcessingTimeAvgTime
    * RpcProcessingTimeMaxTime
    * RpcProcessingTimeMinTime
    * RpcProcessingTimeNumOps
    * RpcQueueTimeAvgTime
    * RpcQueueTimeMaxTime
    * RpcQueueTimeMinTime
    * RpcQueueTimeNumOps

RegionServer:
* hadoop:service=RegionServer,name=RegionServerStatistics
    * atomicIncrementTimeAvgTime
    * atomicIncrementTimeMaxTime
    * atomicIncrementTimeMinTime
    * atomicIncrementTimeNumOps
    * blockCacheCount
    * blockCacheFree
    * blockCacheHitRatio
    * blockCacheSize
    * memstoreSizeMB
    * regions
    * storefileIndexSizeMB
    * storefiles
    * stores
* hadoop:service=HBase,name=RPCStatistics-<portnum>
    * RpcProcessingTimeAvgTime
    * RpcProcessingTimeMaxTime
    * RpcProcessingTimeMinTime
    * RpcProcessingTimeNumOps
    * RpcQueueTimeAvgTime
    * RpcQueueTimeMaxTime
    * RpcQueueTimeMinTime
    * RpcQueueTimeNumOps

The heap usage stats (and many others) are available under the java.lang:
domain.

If you haven't already, please see the JMX setup instructions:
http://hadoop.apache.org/hbase/docs/r0.20.2/metrics.html

And if you've already read through that and are running into difficulties,
let us know what kinds of problems/errors you're seeing.

Thanks,
Gary