hbase-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase graphs for cacti
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:34:45 GMT
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Lars George <lars.george@gmail.com> wrote:
> Stack
>
> +1
>
> Thought about the same.
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 7:24 PM, stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
>
>> Edward: That looks sweet.  Should we add a pointer or text of your howto to
>> our metrics doc page (See
>> http://hadoop.apache.org/hbase/docs/r0.20.2/metrics.html)?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> St.Ack
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>> > All,
>> >
>> > I have created cacti graphs for all the JMX exported variables with
>> HBase.
>> >
>> > HBase 20.2 - RegionServer - Atomic Incr
>> > HBase 20.2 - RegionServer - BlockCache
>> > HBase 20.2 - RegionServer - BlockCache Count
>> > HBase 20.2 - RegionServer - BlockCache HitRatio
>> > HBase 20.2 - RegionServer - Memstore Size
>> > HBase 20.2 - RegionServer - Regions
>> > HBase 20.2 - RegionServer - Storefile Index Size
>> > HBase 20.2 - RegionServer - StoreFiles
>> > HBase 20.2 - RegionServer - Stores
>> > HBase 20.2- HMaster - MasterStatistics
>> >
>> > You can check them out here:
>> > http://www.jointhegrid.com/hadoop/

You can definitely add any information. I am even willing to just have
the code incorporated upstream / move to hbase as (contrib) .

The Challenge: In hadoop-core someone did contribute a command line
NameNode "fetch tool".   My code does not build against hadoop/hbase,
but works exactly like the fetch tool. The majority of the work is on
the cacti side in designing intelligent template displays for the
data. For example, the "Atomic Increment" graph displays four items
into one graph, rather then displaying four separate graphs. Much of
the work is not unit testable and if someone introduces a new variable
new graphs are not created manually.

For now I will add some information to the page you suggested telling
users if they have turned on JMX the information can be gathered with
this tool. If you want to discuss ways to get it upstream, that is
great as well.

-Ed