hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: When does a row become highly available?
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:30:22 GMT
Seth,

You are talking about durability, not HA.

To have a better understanding I recommend reading our architecture
page http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/HbaseArchitecture and the
Bigtable paper.

In short, when you write a row it goes into the write-ahead-log and
then right after that in MemStore. Once the MemStore is full (64MB) or
for some other reasons, it is flushed to disk where the file is
replicated (transparently).

If the node fails, the Master will process the WAL so that you don't
lose rows in the MemStore. Prior to Hadoop 0.21 (unreleased), the
append feature is badly crippled so there's a chance that edits
written to the WAL may be lost because HDFS can't guarantee fs sync.

J-D