hbase-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Angeles <patrickange...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: newbie: need help on understanding HBase
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:31:52 GMT
Hi,

'Big Data' refers to the overall data-set size, not the size of an
individual row / field. One of HBase's main strengths is the ability to run
in a clustered environment where you can have, say, 100s of machines acting
as your 'database' server.

HBase relies on Hadoop to do it's work. If you don't think you'll need to
scale, this solution might be overkill. You might have a look at document
oriented databases (CouchDB, etc).