hbase-user mailing list archives

From Greg Cottman <greg.cott...@quest.com>
Subject Impromptu HBase survey
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 06:39:03 GMT
Hi everyone,

I was mulling over the question from Jason Strutz at Cumulus Code before, and wondering what
sort of data he was storing in HBase.  Then it occurred to me that this question may have
broad appeal to many HBase users who are interested in "what" other developers are doing,
as opposed to the usual "how" questions.

To this end, I would invite people who feel like sharing to give me a paragraph or two on
what they are doing with HBase.  Of course, I don't want anyone to give away their eleven
secret herbs and spices or tell me what Ingredient X is.  :-)  I am more interested in metadata
and semantics.

To give you an idea of questions that I wonder about:

*        Are you using a natural or synthetic key?

*        Are you using HBase index tables or maintaining your own?

*        Do you have multiple data tables in your HBase server?

*        How many rows of data are in each HBase table?

*        What type of data are you storing in each record?

*        Are you using column families to localize data or store name/value pairs?

*        Are there columns like name, address, etc., that are present in each row?

*        Are you running HBase on your own servers or on Amazon EC2?

*        Are you using Hadoop to run map/reduce functions against HBase?

*        How does your client interact with HBase?  Java API, REST, Stargate, Thrift, other
(please specify), etc.

Anyone who is interested in responding can do so to the list or directly to me.  I will keep
your responses but not your name or company.  Feel free to answer some or all of the questions,
or add your own information that you feel is pertinent to how you are using HBase.  I will
give it a week and then collate the responses into an integrated summary that I will publish
back to this list.

I should declare that I have no official HBase standing.  I'm just very curious about NoSQL
databases as an emerging technology, and HBase in particular.  The 'net shows a general consensus
is that HBase is an early NoSQL leader but no-one discusses specifics.  Some empirical data
would be very interesting.

Thanks in advance,

Greg.

Greg Cottman