hbase-user mailing list archives

From Rekha Joshi <rekha...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Durability of HBase
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:35:51 GMT
If it helps, HBASE-238 and HBASE-1099 detail some instance of below scenario and fixed in 0.19.0.Thanks!

On 11/30/09 1:48 PM, "JQ Hadoop" <jq.hadoop@gmail.com> wrote:

I have a question regarding the durability of HBase. After I have put
a record to HBase and have received a confirmation of the put from the
region server (assuming both autoFlush and writeToWAL are set to
true), can I be sure that my record will be there no matter what? I've
checked the code and found that the region server will first append a
log record to WAL (a SequenceFile) and then may call the sync()
function; however, it appears to me that this does not guarantee the
log record is in HDFS even if the sync() function is called. That is
to say, in case of RegionServer crash, the records put into HBase may
be lost; am I missing anything?

Thanks,
-JQ