hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HBase High Availability
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:47:30 GMT
First, there is work under way for 0.21 which will shorten the time necessary for region redeployment.
Part of the delay in 0.20 is less than ideal performance in that regard by the master.

Beyond that, just as a general operational principle, I recommend that you host no more than
200-250 regions per region server. The Bigtable paper talks about each tablet server hosting
only 100 regions, with only 200 MB of data each. While that is not cost effective for folks
who do not build their own hardware in bulk, it should cause you to think about why:
   - Limiting the number of regions per tablet server limits time to recovery upon node failure
-- you can engineer this to be within some threshold
   - Limiting the amount of data per region means that servers with reasonable RAM can cache
and serve a lot of the data out of memory for sub-disk data access latencies

So the advice here is to opt for more servers, not less; more RAM, not less; and smaller disk,
not larger.

You should also consider the impact of server failure on HDFS -- loss of block replicas. For
each under-replicated block, HDFS must work to make additional copies. This can come at a
bad time if loss of the blocks in the first place was due to overloading.
Smaller disks mean fewer lost block replicas. For example, attach 4 x 160 GB drives as JBOD
(as opposed to 4 x 1 TB or similar). Losing one disk means a loss of 160 GB worth of block
replicas only (as opposed to 1 TB). Loss of a whole server means losing only 640 GB worth
of block replicas (as opposed to 4 TB).
You can also consider attaching 6 or 8 or even more modest sized disks per server to increase
the I/O parallelism (number of spindles) while also constraining the amount of block replica
loss per disk failure.

Even so, blocked reads and writes over some interval during region redeployment due to server
failure or load rebalancing is part of the Bigtable architecture and so HBase, unless we take
additional steps such as setting up active-passive region server pairs, but that would have
complications which affect consistency and performance and might not provide enough benefit
anyway (still there is time needed to detect failure and fall over). This is not an unavailability
of the Bigtable service. Other regions are not affected. This is graceful/proportional service
degradation in the face of partial failures. There are other alternatives to Bigtable which
degrade differently given partial failures. Such options can give you no waiting on the write
path at any time and possibly no waiting on the read path but you will lose strong consistency
as the trade off. So you may get stale answers over some (unbounded, iirc) period, but this
is the choice you make.

HBase also has options like Stargate or the Thrift connector which can block and retry on
behalf of your clients so they are never blocked for writes. For read path options I could
look at having Stargate serve (possibly stale) answers out of a cache -- with some flag that
indicates noncanonical state -- if that would be useful, and/or return immediate "try again"
indication, so your clients are at least not stalled.

Best regards,

  - Andy