hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hilarious presentation on NoSQL ...
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:48:34 GMT
This is the second one of these "hilarious" rants against NoSQL I've heard about recently.
I agree with Ryan's characterization of them.

I dislike the term NoSQL, it sets up a confrontational atmosphere where there isn't one really.
Their solutions are more fucking awful than mine, that's why I'm not considering them and
instead am working over here.  :-)

  - Andy

________________________________
From: Ryan Rawson <ryanobjc@gmail.com>
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Thu, November 26, 2009 1:35:59 AM
Subject: Re: Hilarious presentation on NoSQL ...

I wonder, if you never have found the need for bigtable-like data
storage system, maybe you've just never had the problem?

So one thing he is forgetting is that all the things he derides
'nosql' databases for eschewing, we _already avoid them on mysql right
now_ due to scalability problems!  Joins, indexes, schemas,
transactions are all mysql features that cause problems at scale, yes
even with innodb. Or especially with innodb perhaps?

Apparently Google has a 44PB bigtable instance, my particular
challenge to mr Aker is "how would you use mysql or drizzle to store
44 PB in an unified manner?"   ie: no after-the fact sharding
(cheating imho).

Then there is the hardware scalability problems with databases...
maybe he's ok with $500,000 machines. We are not.

I just see this talk as "old guard derides the new kids for lacking
all the awesome features we have".  Particularly ironic since myisam
kind of sucks and mysql has traditionally been
anti-transactions/foreign keys. Obviously times change since mysql
supports all those features now, but I just view it as mysql becoming
the establishment database like oracle.