hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Impromptu HBase survey
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 00:27:24 GMT
On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Greg Cottman <greg.cottman@quest.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> To this end, I would invite people who feel like sharing to give me a
> paragraph or two on what they are doing with HBase.  Of course, I don't want
> anyone to give away their eleven secret herbs and spices or tell me what
> Ingredient X is.  :-)  I am more interested in metadata and semantics.
>

> To give you an idea of questions that I wonder about:
>
> *        Are you using a natural or synthetic key?
>
> Keys are urls that have been md5'd so there is a good spread across the
namespace and then base-64'd (I don't know why the latter is done).

> *        Are you using HBase index tables or maintaining your own?
>
> No

> *        Do you have multiple data tables in your HBase server?

Yes.  About 50 tables.

> *        How many rows of data are in each HBase table?

Between 3-20 million rows in each.

> *        What type of data are you storing in each record?

Some of the tables have wikipedia content and then derivatives; mimetypes,
inlinks, alternate urls, etc., etc.   Other tables hold other indexing
pipeline input and intermediate product.

> *        Are you using column families to localize data or store name/value
> pairs?

Both.

> *        Are there columns like name, address, etc., that are present in
> each row?

Sort-of.

> *        Are you running HBase on your own servers or on Amazon EC2?
>
> Own.  Between 100 and 110.

> *        Are you using Hadoop to run map/reduce functions against HBase?
>
> Yes.

> *        How does your client interact with HBase?  Java API, REST,
> Stargate, Thrift, other (please specify), etc.

Java and REST and thrift.

Above responses describe a cluster from 6 months ago.

St.Ack