hbase-user mailing list archives

From Imran M Yousuf <imyou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: newbie: need help on understanding HBase
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 02:04:10 GMT
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Ryan Rawson <ryanobjc@gmail.com> wrote:
> HBase does at least 3 things that traditional databases have a hard time with:
>
> - Large blobs of data. Mysql is particularly guilty of not handling this well.
> - Tables that grow to be larger than reasonably priced single machines.
> - Write loads that are not compatible with master-slave replication
>
> The 2nd and 3rd are very interesting, since you either have to pay for
> something like Oracle RAC, or start sharding.

Exactly, and since contents will be blob data and my experience with
RDBMS blob suggests that scaling is proportional to *BIG* money so I
am eager to take the HBase path. I was actually praying and hoping you
join this thread :). Can you please elaborate Column Family, Column
and Cell and their basic use cases?

Thanks a lot,

Imran