hbase-user mailing list archives

From Imran M Yousuf <imyou...@gmail.com>
Subject newbie: need help on understanding HBase
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:13:08 GMT
Hi!

I am absolutely new to HBase. All I have done is to read up
documentation, presentation and getting a single instance up and
running. I am starting on a Content Management System which will be
used as a backend for multiple web applications of different natures.
In the CMS:
* User can define their content known as content type.
* Content can have  one-2-many one-2-one and many-2-many relationship
with other contents.
* Content fields should be versioned
* Content type can change in runtime, i.e. fields (a.k.a. columns in
HBase) added and removal will not be allowed just yet.
* Every content type will have a corresponding grammer to validate
content of its type.
* It will have authentication and authorization
* It will have full text search based on Lucene/Katta.

Based on these requirements I have the following questions that I
would like feedback on:
* Reading articles and presentations it looks to be HBase is a perfect
match as it supports multi-dimensional rows, versioned cells, dynamic
schema modification. But I could not understand what is the definition
of "Big Data" - that is if a content size is roughly 1~100kB
(field/cell size 0~100kB), is HBase meant for such uses?
* Since I am not sure how much load the site will have, I am planning
to setup DN+RS on Rackspace cloud instances with 2GB/80GB HDD with a
view of with revenue and pageviews increasing, more moderate
"commodity" hardware can be added progressively. Any
comments/suggestions on this strategy?
* Where can I read up on or checkout samples RDBMS schemas converted
to HBase schema? Basically, I want to read up efficient schema design
for different cardinal relationships between objects.

Thank you,

--
Imran M Yousuf
Entrepreneur & Software Engineer