hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rest, Stargate or Thrift ?
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 13:47:35 GMT
Stargate (REST HTTP) is not going to replace Thrift.

Stargate does support scanners.

   - Andy

________________________________
From: Kevin Peterson <kpeterson@biz360.com>
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Thu, November 5, 2009 10:06:36 AM
Subject: Re: Rest, Stargate or Thrift ?

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Joost Ouwerkerk <joost@openplaces.org>wrote:

> Language-independent RPC services for HBase: is there concensus on
> preference?  Architecturally, I imagine they are equivalent.
> Performance-wise, I imagine Thrift is most optimal.  As for support and
> maintenance by core HBase contributors, is Thrift also privileged?

Yes, use Thrift.

I was not able to get Stargate or the legacy REST API working acceptably at
the time 0.20 was released. I don't remember what my problems were -- I
think Stargate doesn't yet support scanners, and I couldn't find a working
ruby client for REST.

The only downside we've had is that our developers on Windows can't seem to
get the thrift ruby gem installed.

I don't see what Stargate could offer that would get sites like Stumbleupon
to migrate away from Thrift, so even if Stargate improves, Thrift support
will likely continue.