hbase-user mailing list archives

From Mark Vigeant <mark.vige...@riskmetrics.com>
Subject RE: Zookeeper Error:
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:50:00 GMT
Patrick-

Thanks a lot, the shell connections worked on each host. This is interesting because when
I tried to run the very same code last week, it didn't work... does zookeeper just take a
while to boot up or something? I left it up over the weekend, hence my thinking on time being
a factor here...

I just started HBase up again and I got an IOException: NoNode for /hbase/master but then
it started up anyways. However, when I run the shell and type "list" it gives me a  "NoServerForRegionException:
Timed out trying to locate root region" and then a huge trace. It then tries to debug and
sleeps for intervals of 2000 ms. So it seems to me like the zookeeper tree doesn't have the
information it's supposed to: am I right here? Is there a way to format and restart everything
here/ will that help?

Another interesting tidbit is that when I run "bin/stop-hbase" from my master, the HMaster
gets shut down, but none of the regionservers do.

-Mark
-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Hunt [mailto:phunt@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 6:54 PM
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Zookeeper Error:

Are you able to connect to the ZK quorum using the ZK shell?

http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/docs/current/zookeeperAdmin.html#sc_zkMulitServerSetup

specifically try (replace "host" with fry or leela - test both hosts):

java -cp zookeeper-3.2.1.jar:lib/log4j-1.2.15.jar:lib/jline-0.9.94.jar
org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeperMain -server host:2181

which should output something like:

Connecting to host:2181
Welcome to ZooKeeper!

WatchedEvent: Server state change. New state: SyncConnected
[zk: localhost:2181(CONNECTED) 0]

The shell should indicate if you are able to connect or not, then try
something like:

ls /

[badd1, fo3, foo::bar, p1, zookeeper, p0, foo:bar]
[zk: localhost:2181(CONNECTED) 1]

and see if that works?

Patrick

Mark Vigeant wrote:
> Hey-
>
> So I'm trying to run a HBase 0.20.2 test instance on a 4 node hadoop 0.20.0 cluster.
I have a 2-server ZK 3.2.1 quorum and I started putting HBase on the nodes, but I'm running
into a problem: Whenever I try to create a test table or something I get-
> NativeException: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.NotAllMetaRegionsOnlineException
> Then a huge trace. Now, I think this has to do with my zookeeper instance, but I'm not
entirely sure. In my 2 zk nodes I have the following zoo.cfg:

> tickTime=2000
> dataDir=/home/hadoop/zookeeper-3.2.1/data
> clientPort=2181
> initLimit=5
> syncLimit=2
> server.1=fry:2888:3888
> server.2=leela:2888:3888
>
> The way I start zookeeper is by running bin/zkServer start on both, and they then go
through leader election etc. Is there something else I should run?

> Thanks a lot. I apologize for being a total n00b. Also, I know zookeeper is a 2n+1 system
but I don't know how to run a 1 server quorum without having it run in standalone mode.

> Mark Vigeant
> RiskMetrics Group, Inc.
>

> This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients
and may contain proprietary and/or confidential information which may be privileged or otherwise
protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
the original message and any copies of the message as well as any attachments to the original
message.