hbase-user mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Impromptu HBase survey
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:27:00 GMT
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 5:43 AM, Greg Cottman <greg.cottman@quest.com>wrote:

OK.  I'll just move this e-mail to the "Torpid Disinterest" folder.  :'-(

> Thanks to the three people who replied but I don't think we have enough for
> a statistically sound sample.

I wouldn't call it disinterest - it's just (still) early times, I guess.
Monday, I have a small intro presentation on NoSQL and HBase during Devoxx,
it was a very late afternoon 30' session and there were about 300 people in
the room. I did a show of hands and almost all had heard about NoSQL stores,
while almost none had started doing actual work with them. So there's a lot
of interest, but people are still evaluating - and they have more choice
than every NoSQL project perhaps would like them to have. ;)

During the subsequent BOF session later in the evening, there were 50+
people, and the same situation: lots of (genuine!) interest, just a few
early adopters. But we actually had to force people out of the room (as
another BOF session was planned) - or else we would have sit there for a
nice couple of hours.

The questionnaire still stands IMO: some good questions, and hopefully some
new responses in a couple of months. I know we are trying, at the very
least.

Cheers,

Steven.
Outerthought                            Open Source Java & XML
stevenn at outerthought.org             Makers of the Daisy CMS