hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jl...@streamy.com>
Subject Re: HBase Exceptions on version 0.20.1
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 19:23:20 GMT
It's fairly easy to run HDFS into the ground if you eat up all the
resources.

It's also fairly easy to run a Linux machine into the ground if you eat
up all the resources;  or just about anything by starving it of CPU.

I don't disagree with a read-only mode if the server is full, but in
general believe admins of any production cluster need to be constantly
aware of capacity and usage and plan properly.  Not just so things don't
fill up, but also from a performance POV.

I completely disagree with the statement "any hbase cluster will reach
this tipping point at some point in its lifetime as more and more data
is added".  Anyone who continuously adds data without paying any
attention to capacity, then this will happen, but this is the case with
anything that has finite resources.

We should certainly do everything we can to prevent data loss and
corruption in all cases, but also must also set realistic expectations.
  One should not assume they can fill their HBase cluster to the brink
and for everything to always be okay (even if this is the case).

JG