hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can I use hadoop inside hbase?
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2009 01:50:09 GMT
I should also add that HBase running in standalone mode without Hadoop is only useful for limited
testing and I don't recommend it.

    - Andy

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/GettingStartedWithHadoop

>HBase does not have a Windows distribution per se, so I am a little confused about just
what you have installed. I presume you downloaded the HBase release tarball.

>    - Andy
>

>On Sun Nov 29th, 2009 3:57 PM PST Ravi wrote:
>

>>I am using the windows distribution, it must have come with hadoop built in as I did
not install hadoop separately. The distribution however does not have any hadoop commands
or shell scripts.

>>So looks like this is a hbase windows distribution issue?
>>

>>Andrew Purtell wrote:
>>> To run HBase you must have installed Hadoop underneath. The Hadoop top level
command line script 'bin/hadoop' is available in your Hadoop installation. Just put the Hadoop
bin/ dir on the path along with the HBase bin/ dir.
>>> You can also run some Hadoop applications using the HBase command script, but
that is missing the shortcuts, e.g. instead of

>>>     hadoop fs -copyFromLocal ...
>>>
>>>   it is
>>>     hbase org.apache.hadoop.fs.FsShell -copyFromLocal ...
>>>
>>> This will work for DFS but for other filesystems which need supporting jars in
lib/, your mileage will vary. Just put the Hadoop bin/ dir on the path along with the HBase
bin/ dir and use the appropriate one for the circumstances.
>>>   - Andy

DFS. How do I add hadoop commands to hbase distribution?