hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rest, Stargate or Thrift ?
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 18:25:19 GMT
On a related note, HBASE-1015 is about a native C/C++ client library to improve the client
side integration story. What falls out of this is replacement of HRPC with some platform independent
RPC for direct access to master and regionserver interfaces. The options there I think are
to use Thrift or wait for Avro. The discussion of one always brings up the other.

   - Andy

________________________________
From: Sylvain Hellegouarch <sh@defuze.org>
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Cc: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Thu, November 5, 2009 10:08:49 PM
Subject: Re: Rest, Stargate or Thrift ?

> Language-independent RPC services for HBase: is there concensus on
> preference?  Architecturally, I imagine they are equivalent.
> Performance-wise, I imagine Thrift is most optimal.  As for support and
> maintenance by core HBase contributors, is Thrift also privileged?
>
> jo.

Thrift is probably the most used in the field but then again it's a
complete guess at this point as there are no official statements on the
Hadoop web site (or perhaps it is lost within the arcane of the beast) to
what is officially supported or not and by whom. I mean could you also
consider Avro for that task?

It seems new comers to Hadoop/Hbase have to go through the same steps of
"try and see for your own business case". Learning the hard way is
sometimes the best bet.

- Sylvain
--
Sylvain Hellegouarch