hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rest, Stargate or Thrift ?
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 13:52:45 GMT
Stargate in 0.20 is experimental. This is because there is little experience with it. If you
try it out, and have success or not, a note on your experiences and observations would be
most helpful. Use the version in HBase 0.20.1+.

For HBase 0.21, Stargate will be "production ready". See http://su.pr/3g5P7B for open issues
in that regard.

    - Andy

From: Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@apache.org>
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Thu, November 5, 2009 12:55:49 PM
Subject: Re: Rest, Stargate or Thrift ?

The new REST API called Stargate is currently considered not yet
production-ready by its author, committer Andrew Purtell. I'll leave
him expand further. If there's a bug or a feature is missing, the best
thing to do is to write to the list and/or open a jira.

The Thrift API is lagging in features compared to the current Java
API. There's currently no official support from any core dev. At SU we
use it but we are still considering other options; the main problem is
that the implementation in some languages are buggy and hard to work

Both APIs have little overhead since they act as thin clients over the
fat Java client. I would consider running the API servers directly on
the client machines and have the application code bind on localhost
rather than going on the network.