hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Semantics of the split function
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 08:44:38 GMT
Naresh,

> How many regions are created after splitting the one region ?

Two.

> Do all the split regions remain on the same node that hosted the first region?

One half remains on the same node. The other is closed and released for reassignment. Depending
on the number of nodes and current cluster loading conditions, the master may assign the region
back to the same node or reassign to another.

If there is insufficient data in a region to make a two way split, if the region is read only,
or if the compaction/split thread is already working on the region, the request will be ignored,
for that region.

   - Andy