hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jun Li <jltz922...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: random write slower than random read in HBase 0.20.0
Date Sun, 25 Oct 2009 05:43:42 GMT
Hi Michael and Tatsuya,

Thank you very much for your quick replies!

I realized that when an HTable is initiated, it starts with one region
from one of the region servers in the cluster and as I pump more and
more data, the number of regions grow and the regions get splitted to
other region servers. I did the measurement only after the regions
fully cover the available region servers in the cluster. Currently the
table holds at least 14 million rows (as I am writing this email, it
is counting in the HBase shell).

I purposely had the row keys to be generated randomly (a row key, in
my implementation, is the concatenate of the 3 sections, each section
has 16 bytes and is the hex representation of a random number with 8
bytes).  I just checked the distribution of the regions to the region
servers and the current distribution is the following (totally number
of regions: 33):

Region Server 1:  3
Region Server 2:  2
Region Server 3:  4
Region Server 4:  1
Region Server 5:  2
Region Server 6:  2
Region Server 7:  4
Region Server 8:  2
Region Server 9:  3
Region Server 10:  4
Region Server 11:  2
Region Server 12:  4

So the distribution of the number of the regions seems not that even.
In fact, in my Ganglia monitor, I can see that often the CPU usage
distribution is not even.

Although the way that I generated the row key is tied to the
application that I am building, but from the performance evaluation
purpose, I can do some modification in my measurement code. So I would
like to know what will be a good way to randomly generate a row key so
that at any certain time, statistically, the rows are evenly
distributed across available region servers?

What about HTablePool? In my measurement, I did not see performance
improvement on write, when I used a single HTable instance, vs. a
HTable Instance for every client request, in each of the client test
application.  Will HTablePool only help in a Java process (such as
Axis web service) that has multiple current threads that try to access
the HBase?

Regarding Tatsuya’s suggestion of packing multiple writes into one
single RPC, I am using HTable as the database tier in a 3-tier web
application architecture to serve client’s instantaneous data access,
rather than batched processing.  I am not sure how I can pack multiple
records into one single flushCommits(), as in one client invocation
session, data read and data write are interleaving.

So in your email reply, do you mean “multiple puts” across the SAME
table, or can it be across multiple tables? From my SQL based
programming experience, I would guess it works only across one single
table.

I can have my cluster to go down to 4 region servers as Tatsuya
suggested and I just acquired a 16-machine cluster (8 cores and 32 GB
RAM per machine), so I  can increase the region servers to 15  to see
the performance. And I will let you know my performance measurement
result in the next week or so.

I realized that there is the HBase 0.20.1.  Are there some new
features inside that can help improve the write performance?

Regards,

Jun