hbase-user mailing list archives

From Doug Meil <doug.m...@explorysmedical.com>
Subject RE: Question/Suggestion: obtaining older versions of values
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:53:39 GMT
Hi Jonathan,

The use-case in question is one column with multiple versions, either to table-display or
plot (Y values over X timestamps), and since the insertion time into HBase is good enough
for the X dimension, we don't need a second column.

After digging through my test program per your suggestion, I realized the error of my ways.
 The history *does* actually come back with the KeyValues when requested.  Doh!  I was so
focused on this Javadoc comment from getMap() "Map of families to all versions of its qualifiers
and values." that I focused on that method instead of realizing that the data was right in
front of me with KeyValue.

I do think that something like what you suggested "Result.getKeyValues(family, qualifier)"
would still be useful for other versioned use-cases.

I'd still suggest a few blurbs in the Result Javadoc on obtaining history (and that the methods
that return KeyValues contain history when requested).  It's "obvious" now that I understand
it, but not so obvious from the existing Javadoc.

I'd be happy to help out with some of this documentation.

Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Gray [mailto:jlist@streamy.com]
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 12:13 PM
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Question/Suggestion: obtaining older versions of values

Personally, when I need to dig into a complex result with multiple
columns and versions, I iterate over the KeyValues directly rather than
messing with the Map-based return formats from Result.

In your example, are you just returning versions/values for a single
column?  Maybe we could add some methods that returned subsets of the
total set of KeyValues (for example, Result.getKeyValues(family,
qualifier) would return all versions of that column in the result in
KeyValue format).

Going to drop a note in HBASE-1937.

JG

Doug Meil wrote:
> Hi there-
>
> Question:  how does one obtain older versions of values from Result?
>
> As I understand it, the following Scan instance should return the last 5 versions of
values for a table, provided that the table is versioned.

>     Scan scan = new Scan();
>     scan.setMaxVersions(5);
>
>>>From the Javadoc, it looks like what I want is in here (from Result)....
> getMap
>
> public NavigableMap<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/NavigableMap.html?is-external=true><byte[],NavigableMap<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/NavigableMap.html?is-external=true><byte[],NavigableMap<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/NavigableMap.html?is-external=true><Long<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/Long.html?is-external=true>,byte[]>>>
getMap()
> Map of families to all versions of its qualifiers and values.
>
> ...  but there is a fair amount of gymnastics involved to get the data.
>
> Suggestion:   can an example of iterating over this map (and contained maps) be added
to the Javadoc?  Versioning is a powerful feature of HBase but using it isn't obvious in result
processing.