hbase-user mailing list archives

From Mark Vigeant <mark.vige...@riskmetrics.com>
Subject RE: Getting Data from HTable
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:54:50 GMT
Ah, thank you so much. That's exactly what I needed.

I will read the API in more depth next time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Gray [mailto:jlist@streamy.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:39 PM
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Getting Data from HTable

Mark,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

Each Result object is for a single row.  You can determine the row with
Result.getRow().

A row contains families, qualifiers, timestamps, and values.

To get the value for familyA and qualifierB use:

Result.getValue(Bytes.toBytes("familyA"), Bytes.toBytes("qualifierB"));

That will return the byte [] value for the most recent version of that
column.

Be sure to read all the javadocs for the client API:
http://hadoop.apache.org/hbase/docs/current/api/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/package-summary.html#package_description

And for Result, checkout the class description:
http://hadoop.apache.org/hbase/docs/current/api/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/Result.html

JG

Mark Vigeant wrote:
> Hey-
>
> Is there a way to get the actual values stored in a row? Using a Scan or a Get object,
the result.getRow and .getColumn give me everything BUT the value (ie timestamp, qualifier
etc.)